Tennis is one of the most emerging sports in the world right now. It is played around the world, and there are four major tournaments played. A majority of beginners jump into the tennis game without knowing the tennis rules and how to play tennis game.
The reason is that there are a bunch of complexities in this game.
Therefore, we have compiled this blog post, in which we will show you how to play tennis step-by-step.
That being said, let’s jump into the details and check out how to play tennis.
Table of Contents
- Equipment Required for Playing Tennis For Beginners
- Learning the Basic Tennis Rules – (How To Play Tennis Rules)
- Tennis Court Knowledge – (How To Play Tennis)
- Holding the Tennis Racket – (How to Play Tennis For Beginners)
- How to Serve the Ball Towards the Service Area – (How To Play Tennis Serve)
- How to Volley – (How To Play Tennis Volley)
- Important Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Related Posts:
Equipment Required for Playing Tennis For Beginners
At the start, you need to have the tennis supplies for playing tennis. There are not a bunch of fancy accessories required for tennis; still, there are a few that you need for playing tennis for beginners.
Here are the Things Required for Playing Tennis:
- Tennis Racquet
- Tennis Ball
- Tennis Court with Net
- Tennis Shoes (Optional)
Don’t forget to buy the latest tennis shoes as they are an integral part of the tennis game.
Learning the Basic Tennis Rules – (How To Play Tennis Rules)
A tennis match always starts with a coin toss, and the winner chooses between serving or selecting aside.
To win a point, the ball should land within the white lines, or the returner fails to return the ball, and it hit the net or directly falls outside the white line.
The inner sideline is used for singles, and for doubles, the outline is used for scoring.
The server should serve from behind the baseline; otherwise, it will be called foul if he touches the baseline or crosses it during serving.
A player has two chances on serve; he can make a mistake during the first serve, like hitting the net or falling outside the service line. If he cannot deliver the second serve legally, the point will be awarded to the opposing player.
If the ball blows any part of the line, it will be considered a point and anything outside will result in a point lost.
There are three sets for women and mostly five sets for men’s matches, and each set contains six games. A player has to win a game by the margin of two or more points.e.g 6-4,6-3. In case of 6-6, the game goes to tie breaker and decided on who gets 7 points first
There are a total of 4 points in a game and are counted as 0,15,30 and 40. If the score is tied at 40-40, then ‘deuce’ is called, and players have to win two consecutive points to win a game in case of deuce.
Tennis Court Knowledge – (How To Play Tennis)
Per International Tennis Federation (ITF), the tennis global governing body, the court should be rectangular. The standard size of the tennis court, according to ITF regulation, is 23.77 meters long and 10.97 meters wide.
However, the width differs for singles. Only 8.23 meters of width is used for single matches.
If we see a top view of the tennis court, we can see two parallel lines drawn horizontally along the width of the court are known as the baseline. The lines drawn vertically along the length of the court are known as sidelines. Separate sidelines for single matches are drawn insides of the double sidelines.
There’s a net in the center of the court parallel to the baseline, which divides the court into two halves. In each half, a service line is drawn 6.40 meters away from the net, which extends only to the singles sideline marking.
There are three primary types of courts, Grass, Clay, and Hard Courts.
Holding the Tennis Racket – (How to Play Tennis For Beginners)
Holding the tennis racket the right way is one of the key steps in tennis. Although there are various gripping techniques that are widely used in tennis, still, as a beginner, you should go with a basic one.
The continental grip is the most versatile grip in tennis.
Not only this grip is versatile and can be used for serve, volley, and other shots, but it is very convenient to master this grip type. You can also visit Tennis Grip for an advanced guide.
It’s the reason you will notice that most tennis instructors will advise you to adopt it as your first grip.
How to Hold the Tennis Racket Using the Continental Grip:
- Put the racket on the ground.
- Now, naturally put it up, so that the bevel number 1 is between your thumb and index finger.
How to Serve the Ball Towards the Service Area – (How To Play Tennis Serve)
Each tennis game starts with a serve. Thus, you have to master it for enhancing your game. Below, we have provided you with the complete method for serving the ball using the continental grip towards the service area. You can check Tennis Serve for a detailed guide.
Here is How to Serve the Ball:
- Get yourself positioned by standing behind the baseline. Also, you should be standing sideways, on the opposite side of the service box.
- Grip the ball rightly using the continental grip.
- Toss the ball in the air, and hit the ball.
How to Volley – (How To Play Tennis Volley)
When the ball is hit before touching the ground, it’s called Volley. Volley is usually hit when the player gets offensive on the opponent player.
There are various methods of hitting the Volley. In this method, we will show how to volley the tennis ball.
- Hold the tennis rightly using the right type of grip (continental grip works the best).
- Position yourself near the net, and rightly hit the ball when the opponent hits it.
- Always use good tennis gear while playing a tennis game. Buy a good tennis racquet and wear a proper tennis kit. Don’t forget to wear proper tennis shoes as they are specially designed to play tennis.
- As a tennis beginner, you need to focus on footwork, serving, and forehand, and backhand shorts.
- Don’t be hurry. Every skill needs time. You just need to be self-discipline and focus to get perfection.
- Work on tennis basic skills and make any strategy that suits your playing style.
- Hire any mentor who can give proper guidance and help you in developing your strategy and improving your skillset.
- Find a good opponent in your community who loves to play tennis and play practice matches with him to get perfection.
Tennis is one of the most accepted sports in the world. It is played around the globe, and there are major tennis events held on all the continents of the world.
If you are new to tennis games and don’t know how to play tennis, we have compiled this guide specifically for you, in which we have put together all the tennis-playing rules.
If you still have any issues, tell us in the comments section below, and we would love to help you out.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What Are the Basic Rules of Tennis?
Tennis has a bunch of tennis rules, therefore the main question is how to play tennis rules? The most basic rules of tennis are to score the points over your opponent. The player with the most number of points in a set wins the game.
How to Play Tennis Alone?
Well, tennis is a multiplayer game, and you cannot play it alone. If you want to play tennis, you have to find an opponent player.
How Can I Learn Tennis Fast?
Practice, practice, and practice. If you want to learn tennis fast, you need to practice a lot. After learning the rules, you need to play them to enhance your game.
Is It Difficult to Learn Tennis?
Tennis is surely one of the most challenging sports in the world. Thus, you would need to put some effort in order to learn tennis fast. So, yes, it is difficult to learn tennis.